Connecting to networks and pedagogy

This week’s topic is to explore how you can continue to develop your own skills, pedagogy and professional development on your own, back in your own library/classroom and environment. What strategies, tools, resources and networks can you implement to maintain your explorations and development? What are some of the ways that educators and professionals are connecting and sharing their learning? What can you do during this class and after it is over to maintain your connections and networks, to further develop your knowledge, experience and skills?

This topic is not an easy one for me as I never really consider what my tools, networks and resources are as a whole, I use them when I need them and add to them when I need to. So, as an exercise this has been a a great gathering for me.

I started with webinars and access to people.

1)  The first one was a free webinar series on Learning Commons offered through the Calgary   Regional Consortium crcpd.ab.ca/

2)   I learned all the big programs that we use at the school like MyBlue Print www.myblueprint.ca and our District's internal version called Peacenet which contains Google. I created a webpage through Google but I am not the best at keeping it up. It is one of my goals this year.

3)   I learned work with a number of the digital programs that we have through ERAC. If you haven't worked with some of the programs that ERAC has I recommend that you search them out. We have Worldbook, EBSCO, GALE, Learn360, Criterion, and Curio.ca (CBC programing).

4) I visited a number of great libraries with wonderful welcoming Teacher Librarians who shared their resources and pedagogy. I believe that of all the types of educators I have met, TLs are the most giving. I came away from each visit with a greater understanding of my own goals as the Teacher Librarian at my school.

5) The BCTeacherLibrarians Association is a very useful resources with links to all sorts of other resources. http://bctf.ca/bctla/  I am betting you have already checked this out but it has been very useful to me so it needs mentioning. I am part of the BCTLA listserv and check the website for ideas.

6) There are a couple of sites I subscribe to that send me emails that I peruse and choose what is useful, forwarding some to staff and admin. One is called ascd@smartbrief.com . It is mostly American content but there a number of gems. I have also attended some free webinars through it.  I also use Pintrest, www.pinterest.ca then I go to library. (I know everyone knows this one but it's been good to me and so has to be mentioned.)     

I then wander from site to site and see what's there and take what's interesting. There are a number of sites I have found useful ad they are mentioned in my other blogs, but this has been my journey so far. I have not learned to be much of a member, but am trying to become one through this course. As I learn more and do more my pedagogy is growing and I am understanding the vast possibilities of my role.



Comments

  1. A good list of useful resources, networks and professional associations that can support your ongoing professional development, explorations and evolutions. Webinars, publications and virtual communities are great ideas for you to continue developing your skills. Your post does need some references (MLA/APA format) for any websites, resources, or media you include, or link. Also, try and add some "labels" to your posts to help organize them better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I downloaded the link for the School library to Learning commons; this was full of steps for this process and a useful resource for how to start. I had never heard of Blueprint and it looks helpful with the inquiry approach to all about me for elementary and career resources for older students. Definitely useful for guidance counselor to be aware of. I just started using pintrest too when i realized its not just for food or fashion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #I am not sure how this is going.....

The library is for more than just research

Call in the Big Guns