The library is for more than just research

One of the things I have been doing since taking on the library is trying to create a space that is seen by staff and students as more than a place to do research. It started in small steps: opening up both doors rather than one, holding events and contests, actively promoting different activities in the school through displays and contests, opening for lunch with table cloths, and allowing in closed containers for drinking. All logical right? But it goes against the grain of a traditional library and since we are only one high school here there are no other examples for students and staff to pull from. I am feeling pretty innovative but I know there is a great deal more that can be done.

One of the biggest changes is the reorganization of the space itself and making it as flexible as possible. We have tables on wheels (teachers love them), there are counters and stools (but the stools seems to float around to tables too),  there is comfortable furniture, all trying to make the spaces inviting. Most importantly I have had two spaces exchanged, a computer lab with the fiction reading section. It has made an enormous difference! In the first month there have been more fiction books taken out than in the first four months last year. The following photo shows a small section of the library. To the left by the stairs is a counter, (we have two more now) as well as some of the new furniture. In this photo I liked the juxtaposition of the computer and typewriter. The small area in the upper right is the fiction section. It has been moved to a larger space with more furniture.
The library in the middle of changes.
(All rights reserved on photo, not to reused in any way
without permission)


I have also been promoting books through my website but I am not very good about updating it. I have a large display area for books and change it often using both fiction and non fiction. I am excited about DEAR this year. We're going to offer three different reading exerpts for staff to use with their classes on the 23rd, all Canadian content. There are two of us in the library now and we are going to try a few things. One is a video like Aaron spoke about using it for Halloween and the other is a display of staff picks with their teenage heads atop their now bodies holding the books. It will also include a short statement about the choice from the teacher.

Lastly, I am also promoting research using books and digital media and trying to support the different learning needs. We have activated our speech-to-text and text-to-speech functions on the computers and through Google, and have a supply of headphones. I work with teachers and share our ERAC digital sites with students. I am actively promoting the use of traditional research so that students understand how a book is organized which will, in turn, help them understand how a website works. 

I know what I am doing and thinking is not unique but it's still fresh and exciting to me because it is our school's journey. This video speaks to what I am working towards.
 

As I was doing research for this I came upon a few articles and websites that I would like to share:

1) I actually subscribed to this blog as an experiment to see if I follow it and what that means. I am excited to explore some of the ideas she offers. 
 
2) Although geared to elementary, this article can be adapted to the high school setting. It gives ten pointers on how to foster reading in students. Number 8 speaks to me specifically because of what is happening in the library since I reorganized the fiction section to open it up with a comfortable seating area. Number 3 is also something I related to, allowing children to talk about what they have read. 

3) The first link is for different apps the author finds useful for inquiry using digital media. The second link is to a bigger site which discusses the author’s research and understanding about Inquiry as an educational tool.

 4) I really liked this chart and will see if works to encourage using a variety of sources.
  “Inquiry Chart | Classroon Strategy.” Reading Rockets, WETA Public Broadcasting, 30 Mar. 2015, www.readingrockets.org/strategies/inquiry_chart.







Comments

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    Your library looks great. I agree with you that the flexible and movable furniture really transform the learning commons space to a more dynamic and useable space. The school I was at last year had a library make over and they had put in some of the movable and pull-apart furniture and got great reviews from both students and staff.
    I was really happy to see that you are implementing DEAR this year, not all schools do. Last year, I really appreciated and enjoyed DEAR time. I loved that it is a school-wide event and it only took 20 minutes out of the day. In the website where it offered the 10 best ways to foster a reading culture, it mentioned read-aloud, which I really enjoyed when I was teaching at the Elementary level. I wonder if high school students would take to that or would they think it is childish? I think my ELL students could benefit from this. Any thoughts?
    I also really like this website http://apps4inquiry.weebly.com/, especially the Study Skills Shelve. This is very useful for my current teaching position as a Learning Assistance teacher. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you feedback. I am very excited to try out the DEAR activity. I'm looking forward to seeing what works and then getting suggestions for next year. I have been to the website you shared and really liked it. I didn't go to the section you shared so will go back and check it out! Maybe out LAs will benefit too.

      Delete
  2. Jennifer,
    It is so refreshing to hear that your school is also in the transition from a traditional library to a learning commons. I work in Alberta and it is just beginning to transition, with that said we also do not have teacher libraries that work, it is just volunteers or individuals that have a 60-hour course on checking and out books. I am in the same position as you, I am a classroom teacher mind you, but my principal just approached me asking to apply for grants and funding to help transition our space into a learning commons. There is a lot of resistance from our librarian assistant, so it will be challenging, but you have given me so many great ideas I can try to implement. I think the biggest challenge I am going to encounter is acceptance of the change from staff, students and parents. Do you have any suggestion on how to make it a smooth transition and understanding of what a learning commons purpose is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you comments! If you are taking this transition without paid time it will be hard work but worth it.
      I just wanted to let you know that I had a terrible time with the support staff in the library my first year. The admin had not talked to her about the changes that would be happening and I had parachuted into the role at the last minute, so I was just trying to become grounded. She saw it as her library and resisted almost everything I did. You need to have the admin share with your library assistant the vision and their role in helping the teacher make it happen. Mine retired as she really couldn't work with anyone, period. Maybe yours will buy in once they understand that there is a role for them.

      I didn't let her deter me however, and I had admin support, which is essential. I made sure I published stats and photos and info in the school newsletter, and I reported out at each staff meeting. I made little changes to start with so the staff and students saw change but weren't overwhelmed. I keep stats about how many classes come into the library, how many individual or groups of students, all through a sign up book. I brought in some comfortable furniture, not least of which were two Fatboy bean bag cushions. They are expensive but the students love them and they are very durable. I went to a Parent Committee meeting right away and asked them to come and see the library one I had made a few small changes and talked about what I was doing and why. And I had a budget, and then made a five year plan including admin along the way and facilities staff, so everyone felt connected.

      The teachers were different. I found a few who would work with me with their classes. Just a few. I also put out a questionnaire half way through the year. (Be careful with what you ask staff! You want support and ideas but not demands/expectations.)
      I can go on, but firstly you need to know what you hope for and what your budget is and then strike while you are the admins' ear.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jennifer; That's great you are creating a learning commons; I took the LA course so I,'m familiar with the concept but I haven't had the chance to implement it as I'm at a Montessori school in Calgary till the end of the month when I'm moving to Victoria. I really enjoyed your resources and book marked them the 25 tips and the Apps for Inquiry; I liked how they categorized them into motivate; question; research; sort and analyse; act and share as a progression into the process of inquiry because when and how you use apps in the lessonflow is key. . i"m new to Twitter so the hashtag groupings to post book trailers is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good blog post with some very interesting examples of small changes that you can make that produce some great results! Your furniture, space and program changes all signal to your school community that you are creating a new space with new expectations and new supports. You've already started to see results and will continue to adapt and respond to the needs of your school community. Good use of images, links and references.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #I am not sure how this is going.....

Call in the Big Guns