Supporting a diverse Teaching Population with ICT

So how do you try to support the variety of teaching styles and disciplines with ICT that a school holds? Very thoughtfully. Aside from dealing with changing technology, a TL must also continually try to find ways to support the interested colleagues as well as the reluctant library venturers and technology integraters.(Yes, I made that last word up.)

I have seen the library use go up by at least 100% so I am actively promoting new acquisition of computers that can be signed out by students and not only used at a station. I am also encouraging teachers to use the library for things other than research.
For example, science fairs, displays,  meetings, speakers, demonstrations, etc. This is a small snapshot of the library and a science fair project.
I have done a number of things to encourage use of the digital resources we have access to. Our Resource Center has a number of database and other subscriptions with ERAC and so I have been promoting the use of these as research tools. I talk with teachers about what is available, and ask I ask about upcoming projects students can use the resources for. I have been able to work with a number of science and socials classes in grades 11 and 12. I have also done ProD workshops with staff on what is available and how to access.
Here is a short video on how to use EBSCO.
Another priority I have is clearing out videos and digitizing those that I can. We have the CBC News of the Week DVDs from 10 years ago but have purchased Curio.ca so everything can be accessed online, in both languages. (Another ERAC choice.) So I can give away the DVDs but I make sure I encourage online access.


I have a 'Teacher Library' which is not touched. I share the books with department heads to take to their colleagues, I have them displayed where a lot of staff walk and I send out emails. I also share catalogues to see if there is anything I can add to our collections so it isn't  https://vimeo.com/191195612                                      only top down.

I am now spending more time trying to amp up collaboration. I ask about the projects students are working on, I offer things without waiting to be asked because teachers are busy, and I search for things that might be fun or useful.

I want to start a book club but am still researching a style that might work with my group. I also want to try a 'wine' and cheese after school with a them for resources, or an informal chat page to share book titles, or a book exchange event after school. I am also planning a promotion of teachers' favourite books by having a photo of their body with a head photo of their younger selves holding their favourite book with a little write up. I just want the library to been seen as open to everyone for all sorts of reasons.

Two of my big projects this year is the creation of a database of digital resources that have been vetted for use by students and teachers. I also want to create three maker boxes for curriculum use. I have already been talking to teachers about what these could look like with our age group and educational needs. Even though I felt I had an original idea I needed something to share with PAC to describe what I am doing, so after a great deal of searching I found an article that has something like what I want to put together. It is with the Public Library of Mount Vernon and Knox County. http://www.teenlibrariantoolbox.com/2015/06/circulating-maker-kits-a-twist-on-library-makerspaces/ .     (I have asked PAC for funding so we will see what happens come November.)

I have had staff surveys, included them in what is happening, and  kept as open a policy as possible. As well, I was a neophyte when I started in this position two years ago and so I am always feeling one step  ahead in certain things. But I am proud of what I have done and am excited every day to go to work and see what will happen. I think showing that I am a learner still as well as an expert is fair.

Citations

Frederickson, Karen. “Digital Resources.” School District 59, School District 59, 12 Oct. 2017, www.sd59.bc.ca/staff/district-resource-centre/digital-resources.  

"Home | ERAC.” Home | ERAC, www.bcerac.ca/. 

Jensen, Karen. “Circulating Maker Kits: A Twist on Library MakerSpaces.” Teen Librarian Toolbox,  School Library Journal, 9 June 2015, www.teenlibrariantoolbox.com/2015/06/circulating-maker-kits-a-twist-on-library-makerspaces/. 

“Research Made Easy with Explora.” Vimeo, EBSCO, 28 Oct. 2017, vimeo.com/191195612.


Comments

  1. Wow, so many good ideas on how to support your colleagues and staff at your school. Your offering of ProD, workshops, bookclubs, staff meetings and surveys will help you get a solid understanding and awareness of what your school is needing and how best to approach it. Many good examples for others to implement with some interesting strategies for engaging reluctant staff members. Overall, a good post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #I am not sure how this is going.....

The library is for more than just research

Call in the Big Guns